Introduction to Aquaculture.
MCQS. 1. The science of raising aquatic plants or animals is: (a) Apiculture (B) Sericulture (c) Aquaculture (d) Pisciculture 2.
Aquaculture is totally dependent on the: (a) Quality of H2O(b) Quantity of H2O (c) Both quality & quantity of H2O(d) None of above 3. The newest kind of aquaculture in which cleaning & reusing of H2O occurs is: (a) Pens (b) Ponds (c) River (d) Recirculating tanks 4. Around 500B.C the earlier Chinese documents on fish culture was written. This paper called: (a) Micrographia(b) Origin of species by means of Natural Selection (c) Fan hi on Pisci culture(d) None of above 5. The Japanese are particularly famous for their culture of the: (a). Fishes (b) Pearl oysters (c ) Shrimp (d) Cat fish 6. ………………is a warm water fish & can tolerate as high as 90o F but not less than 50oF: (a) Tilapia (b) Trout (c) Salmon (d) Trout & Salmon .
Race way cultures can also be called: (a) Pond culture (b) Caged culture (c) Tank culture (d) Pen culture 8. ……………refers to the techniques of keeping several different harvestable animals (or plants) together so that all the space & nutrients are used to fullest extent: (a) Polyculture (b) Monoculture (c) Pisciculture (d) Sericulture 9. Type of soil is best bottom for fish pond is: (a) Clay soil(b) Loamy soil (c) Muddy soil(d) Sandy soil 10.Loss of appetite among fishes suddenly shows that pond water lacks: (a) Dissolved Oxygen(b) Dissolved CO2 (c) Dissolved N2(d) Dissolved Ammonia 11. The residues & liquid part after anaerobic fermentation to produce: (a) NH4 gas(b) Bio gas (c) CO2 gas(d) Water gas 12.
The digestive tract of chicken is very short, only 6 times of its own body length: (a) Pigeon (b) Cow (c) Fish (d) Human Match the column A with column B & write correct answer in column C. Column A |Column B |Column C | |1) Mariculture |a) Decapods |Brackish H2O | |2) Tear of the moon |b) Water without turbidity & fertile |Pearl oyster | |3) Tiger shrimp |c) Brackish H2O |Decapods | |4) Crisp water |d) Pearl oyster |Brackish H2O | |5) Manures of livestock & poultry |e) Turbid water |Organic Fertilizer | | |f) Organic Fertilizer | | | |g) Inorganic Fertilizer | | COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES. 1. The science of raising aquatic plants or aquatic animals is called…AQUACULTURE…… 2.
Aquaculture is a form of AGRICULTURE that includes the cultivation, propagation & marketing of Aquatic organisms. 3. In COLD H2O trout & salmon are grown. 4. Silver carp & big head carp feed on phytoplankton or ZOOPLANKTONS.
5. Japanese are particularly famous for their culture of PEARL OYSTER. 6. FIN FISH means culturing of fish.
7. In SEMI INTENSIVE CULTURE, natural food production is less & supplementary food is provided to fish. 8. Raceway culture can also be called TANK CULTURE. 9.
Rotary harvesting is usually conducted in SUMMER AND AUTUMN. 10. FERTILE WATER means that the fish pond has a fast material recycling & a great biomass of plankton which are abundant as natural food for fish. 11.INTEGRATED FISH FARMING fish farming system is so broad in scale with so many models that there is no comparative in the world.
12. Problem that the aquaculture in developed countries is facing, is HIGH COST of pelleted feeds. 13. COWS are ruminants. 14. The acidity or alkalinity of H2O represents the HYDRO CHEMICAL quality.
15. Trout is COLD WATER animal. 16.
For fish pond, the best soil for bottom is LOAM. 17. American prefers CAT FISH than carps. 18. The residues & liquid part after anaerobic FERMENTATION to produce biogas are used for fertilizing fish pond.
19. Silver carp is PHYTOPLANKTON eater. 20. The production of silk from silk worm is called SERI CULTURE.Short Questions. 1. What is the procedure of pearl culture? 2. How early form of aquaculture differed from aquaculture practices today? 3.
Give three reasons for aquaculture, only short headings required? 4. What is cage culture? 5. What are three advantages of cage culture? 6.
What are three disadvantages of cage culture? 7. What is meant by fish forming? 8. What is significance of harvesting & stocking in rotation? 9. In points mentioned the advantages of integrated fish forming? 10. Define integrated fish forming? Biology of major Freshwater cultivable Fishes of Pakistan. MCQs. 1. The common name of Catla catla is: a.
Morib. Thailac. Grassd. Rohu 2.The scientific name of Grass carps is: a. Catla catlab. Labeo rohitac. Cirrhinus mrigalad.
Ctenopharngodon idella 3. Catla as a species is often confused with allied form catla carpio found in: a. Indiab. Nepalc. Chinad. Thailand 4. The maximum weight of catla is recorded: a. 30 Kgb.
45 Kgc. 50 Kgd. 60 Kg 5. Grass carp is originally found in: a. Chinab. Indiac. Russiad. Both a , c.
6. Grass carp mature is cold water at the age of: a. 3 yearsb. 2 yearsc.
5 yearsd. 1 year 7. The maturation age of Rohu in Bangladesh is: a.
1-2 yearsb. 3-4 yearsc. 2-3 yearsd. 5 years 8. The lateral line scales in cirrhinus mrigala: a. 30-32 b. 40-45c. 40-50d.
20-25 9.The optimum temperature for breeding of Indian carps: a. 22-31oCb. 20-22oCc. 10-20oCd. 30-35oC 10. The spawning season of sliver carp is: a. April to Julyb.
January to Aprilc. September to Octoberd. None of these FILL IN THE BLANKS. 1. The Scientific name of Big head carp is Aristichthys nobilis. 2.
In cyprinus carpio the scales are large. 3. The spawning season of mori depends upon the beginning of moon soon. 4. The scientific name of Brown trout is Salmo trutta. 5. In Pakistan Salmo truta was imported in 1916.
6. On bases of food the Brown trout is carnivore. 7. The common name of Cyprinus carpio is Gulfam. 8. The Cyprinus carpio fish can breed in stagnant water.
9.The spawning season of big head carp is May to June. 10. The scientific name of tilapia is Oreochromis mossambicus. Write short notes on followings.
1. Write note on Geographical distribution of Catla catla. 2. Write short note on the feeding habit of grass carp.
3. Write only three diagnostic features of Cirrhinus mrigala. 4. What are advantages of Brown trout? 5. What is geographical distribution of rainbow trout? 6. What is growth rate of Silver carp? 7.
What is feeding habits of Rohu? 8. What is body colour of Cyprinus carpio? ECOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF AQUACULTURE. MCQs.
i. …………. is used to remove phytoplankton from potable water reservoirs. a.
Bighead carpb. Rahuc. Tilapia ii.Eutrophication express itself an abundance of: a. Shrimpsb.
Higher plantsc. Algae iii. Deep ponds have the depth: a. Less than 1. 5mb. 0. 5mc.
Greater than 1. 5m iv. High level of H2S in water is indicated by: a. Gill damageb.
Mortality of fishc. All above v. Evaporation loss of water in subtropics is: a. 0. 5cm/dayb.
2. 5cm/dayc. 0. 8cm/day vi. In ponds, located in acid soils: a.
Seepage is low b. Seepage is highc. Seepage is moderate vii. Ground water resources are: a.
Less used on global levelb. More used on global levelc. Never used on global level viii. Lime is used in acidic soils to: a. Reduce seepageb.
Increase seepagec. None of above ix. In tropical areas most desired pH is: a. -8b. 7-8c. 5-6 x. Microsystis is an example of: a.
Blue green Algaeb. Brown Algaec. Green Algae FILL IN THE BLANKS. 1. Snail is the intermediate host of Schistosomiasis. 2.
Cages & pens are often unattractive & disturb scenic beauty. 3. In theory, freshwater aquaculture can utilize water at any stage of hydrological cycle.
4. In practice, surface water in use constitutes only 0. 3% of earth water resources.
5. Evaporation & transpiration lead to a significant loss of surface water from aquaculture facilities. 6. COD, in aquaculture means Chemical Oxygen Demand. 7.
The toxicity of many substances, such as ammonia & H2H is influenced by pH. 8.Static fresh water has more stable physical & chemical characteristics than flowing water. 9. The limit for most fresh water organisms appears to be salinities of less than 10ppt.
10. Temperature influences oxygen solubility photosynthesis & respiration. 11. Loss of water due to evaporation in tropical regions is 2. 5cm/day. 12. Microcystis toxin is sensitive to heat.
13. Excessive growth of phytoplankton causes oxygen deficiency during the night due to respiration. 14. In aquaculture BOD means, Biological Oxygen Demand. 15. Under completely anoxia conditions, the highly toxic gas is hydrogen sulphide.
WRITE SHORT NOTES. i. Quality of water for aquaculture. ii. What is seepage explain briefly.
iii.Give three main sources of Aquaculture wastes. iv. What do you understand by off-flavour? v.
Give effects of eutrophication on aquaculture. WATER QULITY AND AQUACULTURE. MCQs. 1. The fish waste particles account for ………..
….. % nitrogen loads in the system.
a. 50%b. 60%c. 70% 2. Nitrates are converted into nitrates by: a. Nitrobactorb.
Nitrosomonasc. Azobactor 3. One of the following is not a trace element: a. Mgb. Alc.
Ca 4. Which of the following pH is lethal for fish: a. 4-5b. 10-11c. 7-8 5. The unionized ammonia levels rise as: a. Temperature increaseb. pH increasesc.
a & b 6. Water supporting good fish population normally contains: a. Less than 5ppm free CO2b.Less than 7ppm free CO2c.
Less than 9ppm free CO2 7. In circulating system CO2 level may regularly exceed: a. 5ppmb. 15ppmc. 20ppm 8. Fresh water fish drink: a.
Large amount of waterb. Small amount of waterc. Drink no water 9.
Turbidity is caused by: a. Phytoplanktonb. Clayc. a & b 10. Carbohydrates are oxidized into: a.
CO2 & H2Ob. Ethanol & H2Oc. N3H & H2O 11. In ten hours, the fertilized egg get: a. Softenedb. Hardenedc. No change. 12.
After injection the male & female breeders are introduced in the ratio of: a. 1:1b. 2:1c. 1:2 13.
The speed of water in circular pool is maintained at about: a. 30m/minb. 45m/minc. 50m/min 14.Hypophyseal technique in major carps was established in India in: a. 1955b. 1957c.
1958 15. First successful attempt to breed mirgala & rahu by hypophysation in Pakistan was made in: a. 1957b. 1958c.
1964 FILL IN THE BLANKS. 1. As water cools below 37oF it becomes lighter.
2. When water is frozen it increases in volume by 11%. 3. Water with temperature between 55-65oF is called cold water. 4. About 70% of the nitrogen waste in water consists of fish waste. 5.
Turbidity levels exceeding 20000ppm can cause hehavioural changes in fish. 6. Dissolved oxygen less than 2ppm results in death of fish. 7. Catfish is an example of warmer water species. 8.
Higher the temperature, lower the dissolved oxygen. 9. For oxidation of one pound of NH3 4.
0 to 4. 6 pound of oxygen is required. 10. Fish can tolerate concentration of CO2 upto 10ppm. 11. Nitrogen supersaturation level above 110% is usually problematic. 12.
NH3 & NH4 are grouped together as total ammonia. 13. Hardness of water is chiefly measure of calcium & magnesium.
14. Toxicity levels for un-ionized ammonia depend upon species but level below 0. 02ppm is considered safe. 15. Smaller the fish, higher the metabolic rate. 16. Hay & Gypsum are used to remove clay turbidity. 17.
Metabolic rates in fish double for each 18oF rise in temperature. 18.Over 50% of the known chemical elements have been found in natural waters.
19. The salt concentration in the body of fresh water fish is higher than that of the water in which they live. 20.
Temperature plays a major role in the physical process called thermal stratification. 21. The demand for fish food, recreation & ornamental aquariums is steadily increasing. 22. Darwin considered domestication inevitable for captive animals. 23.
In India, the first attempt to induce breeding was made in 1937. 24. On removal of the brain, the pituitary gland can be seen covered with a membrane. 25. Pond stocked with Grass carp as the major species need not be manure regularly. 26.Fish meal containing 30% protein could be a better substitute for oil cake. 27.
The net enclosures are called hapa. 28. Large amounts of nitrates are toxic to the young fish. 29. Eggs are not attacked by fungus if the water is devoid of ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.
30. In ripe females, genital opening is pinkish & swollen. SHORT ANSWERS. 1. Write short note on physical characteristic of water. 2. Write short note on relationships between temperature & dissolved oxygen. 3.
Write short note on role of planktons in a pond. 4. Describe briefly the gas bubble disease. 5. Write short note on oxygen in pond. 6. Write short note on the removal of CO2 from pond. 7.
Write short note on fish wastes.