Facts about Alexander the Great
1. Alexander the Great was the king of Ancient Macedonia, the pharaoh of Egypt, the king of Asia and the Persian king.
2. Alexander was a disciple of Aristotle.
3. Alexander had the eye of different colors, brown and blue.
4. At the age of 16, Alexander used to replace his father on the throne when he left on state affairs.
5. The first victory was won by him when he was 18 years old.
6. He became the ruler at the age of 20 after his father’s death, King Philip of Macedonia.
7. Alexander was the founder of more than seventy cities, and he named twenty cities after himself.
8. He led a successful military campaign for 15 years, conquering many countries, including Turkey and Iran.
9. Alexander is considered to be a descendant of the Greek hero Hercules from his paternal side and Achilles from his maternal side.
10. Alexander had a tall face and a sharp voice.
11. According to historical documents, he was known for his love of cleanliness and always carefully observed personal hygiene.
12. It was under Alexander the Great that a whole historical period began, known as the Hellenistic era.
13. Alexander the Great is considered the greatest conqueror in the history of mankind.
14. The army of Alexander the Great had only 15,000 soldiers.
15. Death of Alexander remains one of the greatest mysteries of the ancient world.
16. Alexander was particularly violent and impulsive in character.
17. Alexander of Macedon was epileptic.
18. Tactical schemes of Alexander teach in military academies and universities all over the world.
19. Alexander the Great when died had the most expensive funeral of all time. The entire funeral amounted to the US $600, 000,000 in today’s currency.
20. The exact date of birth of Alexander is unknown. Historians only know year – 356 BC.
21. Alexander the Great had two sons – illegitimate Hercules from the Barsina and Alexander from Princess Bactria Roxana.
22. Alexander the Great’s real name is Alexander III of Macedon.
23. Alexander the Great is known for his greatest military strategists of all time, he did not lose a single battle.
24. When Alexander died, his entire kingdom collapsed, and his land was divided into new kingdoms.
25. Alexander simply did not care about its future, either. He didn’t bother to father an heir to his throne.
26. After Alexander’s sudden death, all his blood relatives were killed.
27. There are still disputes about the sexual orientation of Alexander the Great. Nevertheless, he had three wives: Roxana, Stateira II, and Parysatis II.
28. After the victory over the Persians, Alexander adopted their style of clothing.
29. Alexander named one of the cities on the name of his beloved horse, Bucephalus.
30. When Alexander sat on the throne he ordered for all of his rivals to the throne to be killed to ensure no-one would try to take his new position.
31. Alexander considered Hercules his idol.
32. Alexander employed Persians to his army while he was invading Persia.
33. The base for the conquests of Alexander the Great was laid by his father, Philip II of Macedonia.
34. In this battle against Persia, the army of Alexander the Great lost about 1000 people and killed 30,000 Persians army.
35. The first wife of Alexander the Great was Bactrian princess Roxana, who was only 14 years old at the time of her marriage.
36. In 326BC, Alexander the Great invaded India, in greed of conquering the entire world. However, many people died and his army decided to turn back.
37. On the day of Alexander’s birth, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, the temple of Artemis was burned down.
38. Alexander liked to read Homer’s Iliad; he even kept a copy of Homer’s Iliad with him.
39. In the headquarters of Alexander, with thousands of army, there were also scientists and historians.
40. It was believed that whoever untied the Gordian knot would rule over Asia. Alexander cut the knot with his sword.
41. After the achieved goals in Asia, Alexander the Great made a series of campaigns against Syria, Egypt, Persia, and India, adding new lands in his territory.
42. In addition to Aristotle, Alexander maintained contact with other well-known philosophers of the time. One day he approached Diogenes in the town square and asked: “Can I do something for you?” “Yes,” Diogenes answered, “step aside. You are blocking the sun.” Alexander was delighted with the answer.
43. In total, Alexander the Great led his army 11,000 miles and created an Empire that covered over 20 million square miles.
44. Alexander died when he was just 32 years old.
45. It is known that Alexander’s grave was visited Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, Octavian and the Roman Emperor Caracalla.
46. Immediately after his death in 323 BC began the collapse of the great empire of Alexander the Great.
47. During his Indian campaign, Alexander the Great found a tribe that hadn’t discovered fire yet.
48. Alexander’s body was buried in Alexandria.
49. After death, his body was stored in a vat of honey.
Facts Great is considered the greatest conqueror
Facts about Alexander the Great