AbstractThis research is about the study of the scope and applications of two special grade Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) films produced by Polyplex in the Indian market. They are, 1. Transparent Non Heat Sealable BOPP film – Its particular application in the lamination for Polypropylene Woven Bags. 1.
Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP film – Its application in the gift wrapping industry. Polyplex has just commenced producing BOPP films two months ago in its new plant in Bajpur, Uttarakhand. Therefore, this report analyzes the scope and applications of such films in the BOPP market.
The methodology established in this study is mainly through secondary sources of information, particularly the internet. However, primary information is also obtained from PP Woven Bag manufacturer Bankey Bihari Packaging and Decorative Gift Wrap manufacturer Bokaria Pack & Wrap Private Limited through company visits. The findings of the study indicated that there is a huge and upcoming market for PP Woven Bags and therefore, there will be a huge demand for the transparent non heat sealable BOPP films from these PP Woven Bags companies.
Similarly the demand for the gift wrapping paper and subsequently the metallized non heat sealable BOPP Film will be high.Table of Contents
- About Polyplex Corporation Limited
- About BOPP Films
- Transparent Non Heat Sealable BOPP Film
- Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP Film
- Results & Analysis
- PP Woven Bags
- Gift Wrap Rolls
ObjectiveTo study the properties, applications and scope of two special grade Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) films produced by Polyplex in the Indian market. They are:- o Transparent Non Heat Sealable BOPP film – Its particular application in the lamination for Polypropylene Woven Bags.
o Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP film – Its application in the gift wrapping industry.MethodologyThe methodology established in this study is mainly through secondary sources of information, particularly the internet. However, primary information is also obtained from PP Woven Bag manufacturer Bankey Bihari Packaging and Decorative Gift Wrap manufacturer Bokaria Pack & Wrap Private Limited through company visits.
Introduction About Polyplex Corporation Limited Polyplex Corporation Limited is the world’s 4th largest manufacturer of thin polyester (PET) Film. With the headquarters located in Noida, in the State of Uttar Pradesh, India; the Company has three manufacturing facilities – one located at Khatima, Distt.Udham Singh Nagar in the state of Uttarakhand, India, another at Rayong province in Thailand (owned and operated by Polyplex (Thailand) Public Company Ltd. (PTL), its subsidiary) and the latest facility at Corlu, Tekirdag in Turkey (owned and operated by Polyplex Europa Polyester Film San. ve Tic. A.
S. (PE), which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PTL). Polyplex has established itself as one of the most profitable producers of PET Film by way of cost efficient operations resulting from high productivity and low overheads.Its products have gained wide acceptance in the global markets, such as USA, Europe, South-East Asia, South America, and Australia. The Company has a workforce of more than 347 employees in India, more than 295 employees in Thailand and more than 228 employees in Turkey. With its planned expansion in India, Polyplex capacity by mid 2009 has had 151,000 TPA of PET Film; 187,700 TPA of PET Chips; 42,500 TPA of Metallizer; 35,000 TPA of BOPP; 10,000 TPA of CPP and 310 Million sqm of Coating.With its planned capacity enhancement at Thailand by 2010, Polyplex would be the 3rd largest Thin Film Producer in the world.
Polyplex in India Polyplex Corporation Ltd. (PCL/ Polyplex India) is a Public Company listed on National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange. Polyplex India is engaged in the manufacture and sale of Polyester (PET) Film with an installed capacity of 20000 TPA (Ton Per Annum) at its works located at Khatima, Distt. Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand.In addition, it has an installed capacity of 20000 TPA of PET Chips for captive consumption, 3000 TPA of BOPP Film and 4800 TPA of Metalized Film at the same location.
Polyplex India was incorporated in 1984. The Company had started it commercial production in May 1988 with its first line for PET Film. Following from the Company’s objective of being a leader in PET Film manufacturer, Polyplex expanded its film capacity further by investing in a new film line of 9000 TPA in March 1996.
In March 1997 the Company commenced production of Polyester Chips meant for captive consumption to integrate backward into the manufacture of raw material. To broaden its product portfolio and improve value additions, the Company commissioned a Metallizer in December 2002. Further to impart more focus on value added products, in March 2006, Company set up an offline Silicone Coating Plant. The product is primarily aimed at exports and will help broaden the product portfolio. India is one of the fastest growing markets in the world and demand of PET Film in India is growing rapidly.
In order to gain market share in domestic market as well as to achieve economies of scale, it had setup a new state of the art 8. 70 meter wide PET Film line with a Continuous process Chips plant and a Metallizer at a new location Bajpur, near Khatima. Further the scope of the project had been enlarged to include an 8.
7. meter wide BOPP line along with a 2. 85 meter wide Metallizer. The rationale for this project emerges from the following: •Continued growth in demand for flexible packaging fuelled in large part by the organized retail boom. Gravitation of converting industry to Uttarakhand due to fiscal/other benefits •Integration with existing operations would reduce incidence of overheads significantly •Backward integration into Chips & forward integration in Metalizing helps in capturing maximum portion of the value chain •A Continuous process (CP) Chips plant would be the first for a film manufacturer in India and will reduce cost of manufacturing chips •Fiscal benefits – Income Tax and Excise duty exemption •Lower power rates in UttarakhandThe project had started commercial production in first half of 2009-10 with an investment of around USD 112 million (including margin money requirement for working capital).
About BOPPFilms In this world of fast changing life styles, consumers prefer products to be lightweight, shatterproof, cheap, aesthetically appealing, and easy to handle, with good protection. The only answer to everything is plastics. Plastics have, in fact, revolutionized the whole world in the past three decades.
They have become part and parcel in every walk of life.Flexible packaging materials such as polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, polypropylene, polyester films play a major role in almost all the industries-especially food packaging sector-Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) film is one among them. BOPP is generally a coextruded, heat-sealable film though non-heat sealable films are also used. Coextruded, heat sealable films are used as a single web for packaging of products unlike polyester which cannot be heat sealed on its own and warrants a second web to be laminated. PROPERTIES OF BOPP FILMSBiaxial Orientation of Polypropylene enhances various properties over cast or other PP films. The mechanical strength, dimensional stability, stiffness, non-tearability, optical properties, barrier properties, etc. are greatly improved due to biaxial orienting process.
ADVANTAGES The main advantages in using BOPP films are: 1. It provides higher surface area per unit weight because of low density which makes it cost effective. 2. It has very low moisture transmission rate than other packaging films which improves the shelf life and retains crispness of the food products sensitive to moisture. . The high gloss and excellent clarity provides good aesthetic appeal whereas controlled slip properties make it suitable to perform well on various FFS, overwrapping and converting machines in order to improve or maintain high productivity.
4. It’s high tensile strength, low elongation and thermal shrinkage makes it suitable for processing on high speed printing, coating/laminating and other converting machines. 5. It can be tailor made to suit various customer needs which may be combination of any of optical/surface, optical/barrier and optical/mechanical properties etc. 8.
It is recyclable and does not emit hazardous gas while reprocessing. TYPES OF BOPP FILMS The types of BOPP films generally used are: 1. Transparent and opaque non-heat sealable 2. Transparent heat sealable 3. Opaque heat sealable 4.
Pearlised heat sealable 5. Super seal 6. Metalized, heat sealable and non heat sealable Transparent Non Heat Sealable Film These films are clear, plain ; transparent BOPP films and as their name indicates, they are not heat sealable; they are sealed mostly through lamination and other adhesive processes. Therefore, they have a lot of applications for lamination and adhesion.They are also utilized for printing and Aluminum metallization. The various benefits of such non heat sealable films are that they have:- 1. Good gloss ; transparency.
2. Excellent machineability. 3. Good printing effect, modified adhesion for lamination with corona-treated. These films are either one side corona treated or both sided corona treated. Corona treatment is a surface treatment process that improves the bonding characteristics of materials by raising surface energy. Corona treatment is done by applying a high voltage, high frequency electrical discharge or blast upon the film in order to obtain the raised surface energy.The unit for corona treatment is dyne; the minimum dyne level for BOPP films is 38 dyne.
Such treatment makes the film available for printing or other forms of treatment. Metalized Non Heat Sealable Film Metallization is when aluminum is added to the film. Metallization is the general name for the technique of coating metal on the surface of non metallic objects. It is usually done through vacuum metalizing.
Metallized Films are extensively used in flexible packaging where barrier is required from light, moisture and gases etc.Because non-metallic films tend to be poor electrical conductors; the films must be made conducive before printing or other forms of treatment upon them can be done. [pic] Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP Films are films which are as their name indicates metallized films that are not heat sealable; these films are sealed mostly through lamination and other adhesive processes.
The main applications of such films are Paper/Board/Plastics Lamination for Disposable Paper/Plastic Plates, File Covers, Leaflets, etc; Gift Wraps, Decorative Film Lamination, Decorative Laminates and other Flexible Laminates.The film exhibits excellent water vapor and gas barrier properties. The various properties of such films are:- • Excellent Surface Gloss on Metallized Side – The gloss provides more shine to the film; therefore adds to the attractiveness and buyer motivation of the film when it is processed. • Very Good Water Vapor and Gas Barrier Properties – The barrier ensures that the product inside the package stays well protected from light, heat, external pressure, stays fresh and that the aroma does not escape from the package so that the aroma remains till the package is opened.
Excellent Adhesion of Aluminum ; Very Good Anchorage of Inks on Metallized Side – This ensures that the ink anchorage is excellent and that the printing is done successfully upon the film so that it can be processed successfully as per the wish of the film converters. • Very Good Metal Bond Strength – So that the film becomes a very good conductor of electricity and enhances the films’ attributes and properties such as the barrier properties, the gloss appeal, the ink anchorage etc. • Excellent Machineability – The film is very easily worked and processed upon the machine with no hassles and perfect execution.For example, when the film is being printed upon; there is no abnormality in the film in terms of scratch or unevenness of thickness; so that the film is printed upon with perfection. Gift wrapping paper is generally used for gift-giving during religious, seasonal and political festivals such as Christmas, Holi, Eid etc as well as certain events and incidents in peoples’ life such as marriages, birthdays, promotions, parties, etc. Gift wrap printing is processed upon the Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP Film through machine or through computers.The various designs and colors are impressed upon the film while it is being printed upon.
[pic][pic]Results ; AnalysisTransparent Non Heat Sealable BOPP film ; its application in the lamination for PP Woven Bags • BOPP laminated PP woven bags utilize transparent non-heat sealable BOPP film for lamination upon PP woven bags. • PP woven bags are strong, flexible, durable ; economical bags that are utilized as packaging materials for grains, feeds, seeds, powders, sugar, salt etc. • The PP woven material is laminated together with BOPP film upon both sides of the material; thus making it a three layer lamination.Such lamination is done through extrusion or roll lamination in the respected PP woven bag and lamination factories. • The BOPP lamination ensures that the bags receive protection from external factors as they do not affect the inherent attributes of the product.
• The lamination also reduces the tearability of the bag • The BOPP lamination also provides a glossy attractive appearance that influences buying motivation from end user customers. • The bags are very long-lasting due to its durability properties of PP woven bags and the protection from external factors due to BOPP lamination. These bags have a high carrying capacity due to its durability and strength properties, more items can be carried in the bag than normal packaging. • These bags are economical because of the fact these bags are long lasting. • The BOPP laminated PP Woven Bags are utilized for packaging food products to the consumers such as bags of rice, wheat, flour, salt, maida, vegetables, animal feed and pesticides. Company Visit • For the research, one PP Woven Bag Manufacturer was visited, • The person interviewed was the marketing head of the company.
He explained that the BOPP lamination provides an excellent finish to the PP woven bag, giving it a very good appearance due to the gloss that is emanated from the lamination. • Due to this reason, the demand and growth of such bags is very high nowadays. • The company’s sales of the bags are of 50 tons per annum. • Their monthly film requirement is of 10-15 tons of 18 microns transparent non heat BOPP film. • It procures it BOPP lamination films from UFlex and laminates its bags through extrusion lamination. • The applications of its bags are for rice, pesticides and a multitude of other food grains.
Analysis of the Indian Transparent Non Heat sealable BOPP Film market • The film thickness (microns) used in this market are 18? , 15? and 20?. • Annual production of such films in India is 2200-2400 tons • The current main players in this field are Max Films India, UFlex Limited, Jindal Polyfilms ; Cosmo Films • Polyplex and Nahar Polyfilms are new entrants in this market. • Polyplex just started producing BOPP films two months ago. • Polyplex’s annual target is about 300 tons of such BOPP film. • It aims to obtain a market share of 12.
5% in this market.Analysis of external factors that impact the demand for such films • India is a vastly populated nation with a population of just above 1. 1 billion people. • Furthermore, rice and wheat are two of the staple food grains in India • With such a huge population and the demand for food being phenomenally high due to its huge and ever-increasing population, the demand for the BOPP laminated PP woven bags that package such food including rice, wheat, salt, vegetables etc will be high. • Similarly, in India, agriculture is prominent. Around 52% of the Indian workforce is engaged in labor and labor constitutes 17. % of the Indian economy. • So, agriculture being an important part of India; there will be a huge demand for bags that package pesticides and animal feed for the grazing animals.
• Therefore such bags have a lot of potential in the consumer as well as the producer market in India. Metallized Non Heat Sealable BOPP film ; its application in the gift wrapping industry Company Visit • For the research, one Decorative Gift Wrap company was visited. • The BOPP films that they purchase are Metallized, White Opaque, Pearlised and Transparent. The Metallized Non Heat Sealable Film that the company purchases in order to produce Gift Wrapping Film is of thickness 15 microns and consumption of 30 tons per order. • The Gift Wrapping Film is one of their main and specialized products. • They procure their films from Jindal Polyfilms and Flex Films. • In their Delhi market, the company says that its gift wrap films have a high demand due to its shiny physical appearance and due to the demand for gift wrapping.
Analysis of the Indian Metallized Non Heat sealable BOPP Film market • The film thickness (microns) used in this market is15?. Annual production of such films in India is 250 tons • The current main players in this field are Max Films India, UFlex Limited, Jindal Polyfilms ; Cosmo Films • Polyplex’s annual target is about 40 tons of such BOPP film. • It aims to obtain a market share of 16% in this market. Analysis of external factors that impact the demand for such films • In terms of demographics, India is one of the fastest growing populations in the world. With the population of 1. 2 billion and the population growth rate of 1. 3% per year.
The sheer numbers ensure that the demand of gift wrapping will be high in India. India stands as the country which celebrates the highest number of festivals in the world. • Additionally, with a huge population, a lot of Indians celebrate their birthdays, or marriages or lavishly throw many parties for what so ever occasion, there will be a huge number of gifts being exchanged during these times. • Therefore the demand for wrapping the gifts will be tremendously high in the Indian market year in and year out. However, the peak times of the gift wrapping market will be during the major festivals in the nation; such as Diwali, Holi, Christmas, Eid etc.
• The gesture of gift-wrapping is also an important cultural element The cultural and the demographical aspects of the market ensure that there will be a high and growing demand for gift-wrapping films.Conclusion• Polyplex has got a very good reputation in the films market in India. • It is well known that it is the worlds’ third greatest polyester film producers, the brand awareness of Polyplex in the market is high and the scope and potential of Polyplex products in the market is quite prominent. • It will have no shortage of orders from dealers and companies for BOPP films; regardless of whether the BOPP film is transparent, metallized, earlised or matte.
• BOPP films which nowadays have been growing rapidly will also continue to grow in the future due to its cheapness, properties and range of applications. The global growth of BOPP films has been 6% in 2009 and India has been recently investing heavily in BOPP production; therefore the BOPP market in India looks promising. • The related product markets (BOPP laminated PP woven bags and gift wrapping paper) for the two films, Transparent Non Heat Sealable and Metallized Non Heat Sealable are also lucrative and therefore these films have a prominent scope in the market. pic][pic]LimitationsThe major limitation of this report is that of the time constraint. The internship was of one month in duration therefore there was not enough time for a detailed concrete primary research. Due to this reason the report lacks specific detail.
There was also the company visit restraint. It was not possible to visit each and every company within one month and also another restraint was of the cities. I could only have few company visits in New Delhi but the BOPP film market contains the whole of India.
The scope of the respective BOPP films into their respective BOPP markets would have been attained by visiting each and every company dealing with such films and collecting data regarding the general requirement (in terms of thickness of film, the amount of tons of film required, the grade of film) of the BOPP films by each company; the procurement price; the BOPP film companies from whom they procure their films; the performance of their finals products (Gift wrapping paper and BOPP laminated PP woven bags) in the market in terms of sales and profits and the various trends with respect to the aforementioned data for 5 years each.From these data; the report can specifically and in detail analyze and evaluate whether or not their BOPP films will perform successfully in the respective product markets (Gift wrapping paper and BOPP laminated PP woven bags). References • Woven Polypropylene Bags. Lucky Star International. Web. 20 Apr.
2010. . • Woven Bag Styles. ABC Packaging. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. • Packaging Sacks.
Vindhya Polymers. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. • BOPP Films Global. Plastemart.
Web. 20 Apr. 2010. • Heat Sealable BOPP Films. VPM Papers. Web. 20 Apr.
2010. • Hand Book on Modern Packaging. Anita Singh. Web Report. 20 Apr 2010. BOPP Film. DCP India. Web.
20 Apr. 2010. • BOPP Manufacturing Process. Kopafilm. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. • BOPP Films.
Global Polychem. Web. 20 Apr 2010. • PP Woven Bags. Web. 20 Apr 2010. • Polypropylene Bags.
PVN Industries. Web. 20 Apr 2010. • Metallized Film. Spick Global.
Web 8 May. 2010. • Metallized Non Heat Sealable.
Flex Film. Web 8 May. 2010. • Metallized Non Heat Sealable.
Vindhya Polymers. Web 8 May. 2010. • Splurge in gift-wrap knows no bounds. Unity Marketing Online. Barker, Oliva.
Web. 8 May. 2010. • Tapping Into the Gift Market. Entrepreneur.
com. Campanelli, Melissa. Web 8 May. 2010.